I recently saw an article where a GOP candidate was asked what his biggest weakness was. He didn’t want to disclose that information. He felt it left him vulnerable.
I’ve decided to allow my online presence to be totally transparent. I’m taking off my mask and, not only letting others see me for who I am but taking a good honest look at myself.
I believe we can benefit by confronting our weaknesses.
Have you ever heard of SWOT analysis?
It’s a technique used to help you understand your Strengths and Weaknesses. This will reveal your Opportunities and help you eliminate Threats.
SWOT can be used to enhance your personal life and/or business. You will develop insights that will aid in strategic decision-making and planning.
Strengths and weaknesses are considered internal which means you can directly manage these.
Opportunities and threats are external (environmental, uncontrollable) you can anticipate and react to them.
Strengths-List Characteristics (ask these questions)
- What are you good at?
- What do others point out in you?
- What are your resources?
- What are your assets?
- What advantages do you have?
- What are your skills?
- What positive traits do you have?
- What activities are you involved with?
- How are you unique?
- What are your achievements?
- What are your values?
- Do you have the drive, commitment, enthusiasm, and passion?
Weaknesses (ask these questions)
- What can you improve? (Time management)
- What should you avoid?
- What are your fears?
- What do others see as your weaknesses?
- Where are you vulnerable?
- Is training or education a weakness?
- What personality traits do you lack?
- What negative habits do you have? (ex. being late)
- Do you lack resources?
- Do you lack focus?
- Weak professional or career-management skills?
*Be honest about your weaknesses*
List favorable situations.
- Available contacts?
- State of the economy?
- What is trending?
- Upcoming projects?
- Is there a demand for a skill or trait of yours?
- Job openings?
- What can you provide for others?
- What need can you fulfill?
- Can you offer a solution?
- Where can you learn new experiences?
- What new skills can you learn?
- Is there available advice?
List unfavorable situations.
- What threats could hurt you?
- What challenges do you face?
- Who are your competitors?
- What are your competitors doing?
- What are your obstacles?
- Do your weaknesses lead to threats?
- How is your performance?
- What are your obligations and do they limit you (restrictions)?
- Are you prepared for evolving technology?
- Do your strengths open up any opportunities?
- Could eliminating your weaknesses open up opportunities? A personal weakness is a liability or an area of opportunity for growth.
- Navigate potential threats.
- Keep the lists within three to five things. I wrote a long list for relevance.
- Be specific.
- Avoid repetition.
- Understand the skills, attributes and experiences you should emphasize and the ones you should downplay.
Determine Four Possible Actions:
- Strengthen or add a skill
- Minimize or eliminate a weakness
- Pursue or exploit an opportunity
- Protect yourself from threats